Old Wives' Tales
These are the best of the best of old wives' tales and pregnancy folklore. Some may give accurate results and some are just plain silly. You'll have loads of fun reading them and trying a few. Make a note in your PW journal and keep the results of any that you try so you can see if any of them correctly predicted information about your little one.
- Pick up a single key. If you pick it up by the round part you will have a boy. If you pick up the long narrow part you will have a girl. If you pick it up in the middle twins are on the way!
- The Mayans determined the sex of the baby by taking the mother's age at conception, and the year of conception. If both numbers are even or both are odd then it's a girl; if one number is even and one odd then it's a boy.
- Eat a clove of raw garlic. If the smell of garlic seeps out of your pores, it's a boy. If no garlic smell is detected at all, it's a girl. This test is not for the faint of heart or stomach for that matter. Well, can you eat a clove of garlic?
- If your legs resemble tree trunks, it's a boy. If they're trim and fit, it's a girl.
- If you crave the heels of the bread, you will have a boy. If you like the middle, a girl is on the way.
- If your hands start to get dry and chapped, it will be a boy; but if your hands are softer during pregnancy, you will have a girl.
- If you can't tell you're pregnant from the back, you're having a boy. If you look pregnant all over and from every angle, it's a girl.
- A craving for salty foods is a sure sign of a boy, and craving sweets is a sign that a girl is on the way.
- If you experience increased acne break out on the face and chest you will have a girl.
- Here is an experiment straight from Baby Predicting 101. . . urinate in a glass or jar with a tablespoon of Drain-O in it. If the mixture is green you will have a girl; if the mixture is blue, you will have a boy.
- Suspend a wedding ring on a chain over your belly. If it swings back and forth, it's a girl. If it swings around in circles, it's a boy.
- If a toddler boy shows interest in a pregnant woman, the mom-to-be is going to have a girl. If he ignores the pregnant woman, she will have a boy.
- Which side do you lie on when you are resting? If it's the left, then it's a boy. If you're more comfortable on your right side then it's a girl.
- When someone asks to see your hand, if you show them palms up, it's a girl; palms down, a boy.